Change a demeaning approach…
Someone once described looking for a job as one of the most demeaning thing she had ever done. She said “I used to think it was worse than standing in front of Wal-Mart holding a sign saying ‘Will work for food’ but it is worse becasue I have to chase the cars down the street shouting ‘Pick me, pick me!” You want to avoid the Job Seeker Identity.
…to a more noble and altruistic approach.
- Once you reinstate your professional identity, you determine the skills you perform the best and that you love to do the most.
- Ask yourself the following questions to establish this “How can I help?” attitude
- Would you be willing to help someone for free if it only took 2-4 hours?
- Would you be willing to accept a 30+ day contract if it would take 30+ days to help?
- Would you be willing to work as a W-2 employee if it would take 2+ years
- Now, look for people or organizations that need your help, to achieve their goals, priorities, and to resolve their challenges.